Clarksville Underage DUI Attorneys
Aggressive DUI Defense in Montgomery County
In Tennessee, a DUI charge is a very serious crime to be charged with. Even having one drink too many can lead to life-changing repercussions if convicted in criminal court. For underage defendants, a DUI conviction can be terrifying for young citizens who have their whole lives ahead of them.
To avoid the harsh criminal penalties of a DUI conviction in Tennessee, securing an aggressive defense from a qualified criminal defense attorney with sufficient knowledge, experience, and training in this particular area of criminal law is imperative. Although navigating a DUI case can entail complex nuances and legal intricacies, a skilled representative can defend your rights and guide your steps carefully throughout the criminal proceedings.
At Jeff Grimes & Associates, PLLC, our fierce Clarksville advocates have over 40 years of experience defending the rights of the accused throughout Montgomery County. If you’re facing underage DUI charges in Tennessee, turn to our firm for the swift and aggressive defense you require to clear your name, defend your freedom, and restore your hard-earned reputation.
Charged with a crime in Clarksville? Call (931) 398-5308 to schedule a consultation with a skilled defense lawyer in Tennessee.
What Is an Underage DUI in Tennessee?
A DUI offense (“driving under the influence”) is a criminal offense charged when an individual operates any motor vehicle while impaired by alcohol or drugs. In Tennessee, this is determined by the driver’s blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level, as a reading of 0.08% or higher can result in DUI charges. However, this BAC minimum does not apply to drivers under the legal drinking age of 21.
Tennessee has a zero-tolerance policy for underage drinking and driving. This means that for underage drivers, any trace of alcohol in their system, often revealed through chemical tests like breathalyzers, can result in an underage DUI. As you can imagine, this can put young defendants’ futures at serious risk, so it’s imperative to consult with a qualified DUI lawyer as soon as possible. A skilled attorney can fight for a fair trial while protecting your rights throughout the legal proceedings.
Legal Penalties for Underage DUIs
Underage DUIs carry serious consequences that can impact your future if convicted. While the exact penalties will vary depending on the circumstances, underage DUIs are generally punishable by:
- Driver's license suspension: A conviction can result in a suspension of your driver’s license for up to 1 year.
- Fines: Those convicted of underage DUIs may be required to pay up to $1,000 in fines.
- Alcohol education programs: If convicted of an underage DUI, the court may order you to complete an alcohol education program at your expense.
- Probation: Underage DUI offenders may be placed on probationary periods that require regular check-ins and compliance with specific conditions outlined by the court.
- Community service: The court can require underage DUI offenders to perform a certain amount of community service hours as part of their sentence.
7 Defenses Against Underage DUI
There are numerous ways to defend against underage DUI charges in criminal courts. However, the most effective strategy for your unique situation will depend on the specific factors of your case. It’s important to consult with a trusted attorney who can advise your legal steps wisely and determine an appropriate legal approach to employ on your behalf.
Below are 7 ways to defend against underage DUIs in Tennessee:
- Challenging the traffic stop: Your attorney may investigate the circumstances surrounding the traffic stop to ensure it was lawful and based on reasonable suspicion or probable cause.
- Questioning the validity of field sobriety tests: Field sobriety tests are not always accurate indicators of impairment, and your attorney may challenge their validity based on factors such as improper administration or external influences.
- Disputing breathalyzer or chemical test results: Your attorney may analyze the procedures used during the administration of breathalyzer or chemical tests to determine if there were any inaccuracies or errors that could affect the reliability of the results.
- Establishing lack of impairment: Your attorney may present evidence that challenges the prosecution's assertion that you were impaired at the time of driving, such as testimony from witnesses or expert opinions.
- Negotiating a plea agreement: In some cases, it may be possible to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution, which could result in reduced charges or lesser penalties. This strategy depends on the specific details of your case.
- Seeking diversion programs: Your attorney may explore the possibility of entering a diversion program, which can provide an opportunity to complete alcohol education courses and community service while avoiding a conviction on your record.
- Examining constitutional rights violations: Your attorney will scrutinize the actions of law enforcement throughout the arrest process to determine if any constitutional rights were violated, such as unlawful search and seizure or Miranda rights violations.
Fierce Defense in Clarksville & Beyond
Our Montgomery County attorneys have a wealth of experience navigating the criminal justice system, making us well-equipped to represent clients throughout Tennessee from all diverse walks of life. From drug crimes to robbery to money laundering, our determined defense lawyers have a proven track record of providing informed and dependable representation to the accused in Clarksville and the surrounding areas. Whether you simply weren’t thinking or made an honest mistake, our firm can fight to reduce or dismiss the charges you’re facing.
If you’re facing criminal charges, aggressive representation is a must. Contact us online to consult with a seasoned defense attorney in Montgomery County.
At Jeff Grimes & Associates, your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our clients have to say about working with us.
- Lisa S.
I hired their law firm for a legal case and not only were they highly professional but always courteous and respectful. They exceeded my expectations and got me everything I needed. If I ever need legal services again I will definitely be choosing them in the future.
- Brad H.
If you need legal counsel then I highly recommend you make an appointment with this firm. Mr. Sensing was my attorney and is very dedicated to his clients going to great lengths to provide the very best defense possible. Stays in touch with his clients always bringing them up to speed on what is being done in their case providing copies of everything to the client. HONEST, LOYAL, AND DEDICATED this firm gets 5 stars.
- Spence W.
I took a trip out to TN and got in to some trouble in Clarksville and needed representation for a case while I was I back in my home state. I went to Grimes, Sensing & Clemons feeling distraught and like I had no hope, seeking a solid defense attorney that would actually fight for my case and get me the best possible deal. I left feeling comfortable and confident. I can honestly say I was not disappointed, the only time I needed to come back to TN was for the sentencing(mind you cases may differ) and unbelievably Jeffery Grimes was able to pull a rabbit out of a hat and get a felony charge reduced to a misdemeanor as well as talk down the court fines... I strongly suggest Jeffery Grimes as your defense attorney for any legal issues you may have, also their fees are very reasonable and they will do payment plans. Thank you very much Grimes, Sensing and Clemons.
- Satisfied Client
Thank you so much Grimes, Sensing & Clemons PLLC!! I've been working with them for months and I couldn't be happier. Grimes helped with all of the little details I didn't even know I needed. He is always friendly and ready to answer all of my questions. Your attention to my case has allowed me to focus on what's important to me, healing and family. Thank you for helping me I know it’s your job but the peace of mind you gave me is priceless. Thanks again! ~ YC
- Toni M.
I hired Mr Sensing to assist me with the modification of a parenting plan that just wasn’t working anymore. I hired another lawyer in the Clarksville area that did not do their due diligence. Mr Sensing and his team were great throughout the process. Emails and phone calls were actually returned in a timely manner! Which wasn’t the case with the lawyer I used before. I had access to all my court documents and was always kept informed on what was going on with my case. Lastly Mr Sensing is very experienced and knowledgeable in his field. The outcome for my request was better than I could have hoped for, and I honestly feel like that was due to Mr Sensing.
- Dennis H.
Grimes is the best defense lawyer you could ask for. He was able to take what would generally be a felony for sure and get it down to a misdemeanor and a fine. If you have him as your lawyer, you won't have anything to worry about.
- David L.
Mr.Grimes made my case go very smoothly and easily for me I was out of state for a good part of it he went out of his way to let me know if something changed and he was always very professional and fairly priced! I would recommend him a thousand times over!!
- Satisfied Client
Mr. Sensing is an excellent attorney. He fought with me the whole 2 years my case took for me to get the time with my son I’ve always wanted. I will definitely recommend his services to anyone and I will be going back to him if I have any issues in the future. Also Pat and Amy are awesome!!